When we talk about importance of search engine we really want to know how much a role the search engine play in a typical website’s life in terms of getting traffic. The main objective of any search engine is to help users find the quick and accurate information, products or services they are looking for online.
Now why is search so important? 4+ billion searches happen everyday and majority of these searches happen on Google. There are other search engines also but Google have the global market share of 90%. Today search engine work as a hub for all media. 93% buyers research online before purchasing any product. Typically, 30% to 40% of a website traffic comes from Google Search.
Why being on top of the page is important?
- 90% of users don’t go beyond 1st page.
- On the first page, there are 10 results, but top 3 results get 60% of the traffic
- 32% users click the 1st result
- 17% users click the 2nd result
- 11% users click the 3rd result
- Remember, if you slip a few ranks on the first page, it would significantly reduce your website’s overall traffic, especially those coming from Google search.
Role of an SEO:
- An SEO understands how the search engine works and helps to get the brand’s web properties on the top of the search results.
- SEO help us get organic (free) traffic to our website that may result in leads and sales.
How does a Search Engine work?
A crawler is a program that visits web sites and reads their pages and other information in order to create entries for a search engine index. The major search engines on the Web all have such a program, which is also known as a “spider” or a “bot.”
Initially, Google took 90 days to crawl all the pages on internet. Now it does so within a day. Google gets the information about the website through the sitemap submitted by the webmaster. Google builds an index of all the words it sees and its place on the web page. This is like index in the beginning of a book which shows chapters and their page numbers.
Now the final process in the Search Engine is Ranking and Serving. The way Google figure out the worthiness of a website is by looking at the number of links which are pointing to that website. Link as in referrals. The more the number of backlink a website have Google page rank consider it much more authoritative and give it higher rank. There are multiple other factors like quality of content, technical robustness, ease of navigation etc.